contact me at dotbug3@gmail.com

Friday, July 24, 2009

I Broke My Mother!

  

            It's summertime.  That means hot and sweaty feet.  The solution?  Open toed shoes, sandals and flip flops.  Air those suckers out.  Show off your pretty toe rings.  You know how it is.

            There's a rule in my life, however.  If you are walking with me, you need to wear sensible shoes.  I can't see.  I can't feel my feet.  I walk with a very erratic gait.  The bottom line is that I have a tendency to step on people's feet.  You need proper shoes for your own protection.

            On Friday, JD was  very bored and restless.  He had been out of day camp for an entire week.  None of his friends  were around.  He had a bad case of the summertime blues.

            I offered to take JD  to the  play ground.  He wanted to go but he was wearing flip flops.  I told him it's not safe with me.  I wouldn't take him unless he changed into his tennis shoes.  He was in a lazy mood and refused.  So we didn't go.

            I have control over JD but  not the rest of the world.  I have told my mother numerous times not to wear flip flops or sandals when walking with me.  She knows better than anyone.   But does she listen?  Nooooo.

            My mother and I went  out to a restaurant on Saturday.  As she struggled to guide me through a narrow doorway, my crutch landed on her foot.  I shifted my weight so I could lean on the crutch while taking a step.  That's all it took.   Of course, I didn't realize at the  time that I was basically stepping on her.  She did a funky little dance and suddenly, I knew what was going on.  Once again, she ignored my shoe rule.  This time, she got caught.

            I got her just right... Unfortunately.  It appears that I broke her little toe.  It's swollen and black, blue and purple.  Sounds very colorful.  She's mentioned  pain, too.  Lots of pain.

            Yes, that's right folks.  I am a mother-abuser.  I broke my mother's toe.  I broke my mother!  The horror!  The shame!  The guilt!

            I really do feel guilty.  I never meant to hurt her.  Please, I beg you.  If you ever have the chance to walk with me, wear the right kind of shoes!

 

(Written on June 30, 2009)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers