contact me at dotbug3@gmail.com

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day

Lately, I haven't been too interested in material objects.
Prolonged pain will do that to you. A new top or a necklace
isn't going to help me much now. Besides, I'm not even going out
much. I don't feel the need to get dressed up.

Every time another holiday approaches, everyone wants to know
what I want. I don't know what to tell them. The only thing I
want is freedom from pain. But no one can give that to me.

Okay, there is one thing I want. I so very badly want a kitten.

Our last cat died in November. My parents aren't cat people. My
father hates cats. He actually threw away the litter pan before
burying the cat's body.

Oh, but I really, really, really want a kitten.

I asked for a kitten for Christmas... and Valentine's Day... and
Easter... and Mother's Day. My parents said, "No way!"

My adorable son figured out how to get me exactly what I wanted
for Mother's Day... Kind of. He bounded into my room this
morning brimming with excitement. "Happy Mother's Day!," he
exclaimed, while handing me my gift.

It was a kitten - A totally not-real, mechanical, battery powered
kitten. It walks, meows and purrs if you make it happy. That
basically means hitting the right button while stroking its back.

JD picked out the fluffy white version. I decided its a girl
kitty. We named her Fluffles.

Guess what? I totally love Fluffles. Despite my pain, JD had me
laughing and smiling with this silly little cat. What a
thoughtful gift. He's so pleased that he made me happy. He
asked me about ten times today if I like my kitty. I sincerely
told him that I do.

Mostly, I like JD. He is the perfect kid. People ask me
questions like, "How do you manage?" and "What keeps you going?"

That's easy. It's my son... His love for me and my love for
him. We have this mutual need that sustains us both. That's
what motherhood is all about.

Another way to answer this is to share the card that JD gave me
today. Happy Mother's Day to all!

From JD:

May 6, 2011

Dear Mom,

It is MOTHERS Day so I wanted to write to you and thank you
for everything.

I will give you three reasons why I'm thankful. I like how
you buy me clothes and toys. I also like how you make me
food, if I'm sick. You also help me with my homework.

I just wanted to thank the best mom ever. Happy Mother's
Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers