contact me at dotbug3@gmail.com

Friday, July 20, 2018

I'm not your deaf proof

I love students, and there are many around. Kent State University
has excellent 4-year programs in American Sign Language and
Educational Interpreting. The University of Akron offers ASL as a
foreign language. When I host Silent Social at Summit Mall
gatherings, most students who attend are from KSU and Akron. We
also see students from Cleveland State University, Stark
University, Tri-C and more. Plus some Deaf services centers,
libraries and high schools have ASL classes, and those students
will show up.

It's the same with my other organization, Northeast Ohio
DeafBlind Association. Students often make up the majority of
volunteers. We couldn't host events without them.

Other people attend these events. They may be interpreters,
teachers, people who are Deaf and those who are DeafBlind. We get
a good assortment of people. But this message is for the students
and the educators who make the rules.

Deaf people are not proof. They should not be objectified or used
in any way. When people who are Deaf need to sign papers and have
their picture taken as proof for a school project, that's exactly
what happens.

I'm partially sympathetic. I was a student once and had to have
people sign as proof of communication or attendance. I know how
nervous students are, and how good it feels to get the task over
with.

I'm also frustrated. I set up the socials for the Deaf community.
The objective is for people to have fun while communicating in
their language, sign language. We can't do that when we must sign
those papers and let strangers take our pictures. We can't relax
and be normal, because the flocking students remind us that we
are abnormal.

Here's my story:

On a Friday, in mid-April, 2017, I was at Summit mall for the
twice-a-month Deaf social. There was a heavy turnout of students
from the University of Akron. I assumed their due date was
approaching. I signed around ten papers that night.

The next evening was the Deaf Prom, which is hosted by the
University of Akron ASL Club as a way to give back to the Deaf
community. It was my first time attending. I had a wonderful
night and was thrilled to be voted prom queen.

When the event was over, my friend took things out to her car,
while I waited inside. A whole group of people lined up to talk
to me. I was overwhelmed. I felt like a celebrity The magic faded
as student after student asked for my picture and signature. Some
actually talked to me. Other's got straight to the point and
thrust a pen in my hand.

It seemed like "giving back to the community" had a catch to it.
I was being used as proof. I was being used and didn't like it
one bit.

I swore I would no longer sign those papers. At the next Silent
Social at Summit Mall, a really sweet student talked to me for a
long time. She worked hard to use her ASL skills. It was a
pleasure to talk to her. When she asked for my picture and
signature, I willingly gave it to her... and everyone else for
over a year.

I returned to the Deaf Prom this year and was again voted prom
queen. I told my friend that I would sign no papers that night.
She made sure no one asked. I felt like a normal person. It was a
great feeling.

I continued to sign student forms. Sometimes I was happy to do
it. Sometimes I was reluctant. We all know that some students get
what they need as quick as possible and leave the event. I signed
and smiled for cameras.

Recently, on July 8th, NEODBA hosted a picnic and pool party in
Mayfield Village. It was a huge success with around 35 people in
attendance. As usual, we had a lot of students. I think it's a
great experience for them. When one asked for my signature, I
signed the paper. When another asked for my picture, I let her
take it. Things got out of hand. I was standing barefoot on the
cement pavilion, leaning against a table for support, face
contorted with pain and my shorts half down when another student
wanted my services. I broke. I will no longer sign papers. I will
no longer let students take my picture. I will not be anyone's
proof.

When this happened, I was not in the mood to chat. I wanted to go
swimming. More students kept showing up. I finally got my shoes
and braces off. I already wore my swim suit. I needed to take off
my shorts. To do that, I had to stand up. I had fallen a few
weeks prior and sprained my foot in two places. It hurt like hell
to stand. It felt ridiculous to be caught with my shorts half
down.

I wonder about all those pictures that got turned in for points.
Did the teacher laugh? Did she think, "Angie again??" Did
students post the pictures on social media? Did they say, "Look,
I met a real, live Deaf person?"

I have heard from local individuals who are Deaf who refuse to
attend the mall social because they fell hunted and used by
students. I'm torn. Students are important. They need to practice
their ASL skills. They need experience. I want them to attend.
The real focus, however, is on the Deaf and DeafBlind community.
These events are their time... our time. Can we come together in
peach, share and chat without the need to sign papers and have
our pictures taken?

There has to be another way for students to prove that they have
attended events. Keep in mind that Kent State no longer requires
signatures and pictures. Other colleges need to do the same. I
say again, I love students. I hope you will attend and enjoy
these events. But don't ask me to sign and smile. I'm done being
your Deaf proof.

Angie C. Orlando
July 2018

Permission is granted to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers