contact me at dotbug3@gmail.com

Saturday, March 28, 2020

lockdown part 2

Lockdown Day 3

March 25, 2020

I fall asleep quickly but wake up often. Bast is on my left side,
while Nut is on the right. It's a Bast rule that they can't sleep
on the same side. They are too close. I can't move. I roll over
on top of Bast.

I wake up at 6:00 AM and can't fall back asleep. I get dressed.
When I turn on my CI's, I hear a loud noise. It sounds like
music.

I find Joseph in the kitchen making a peanut butter and jelly
sandwich. This meal is his bedtime snack. He is nocturnal these
days.

I read the news. COVID 19 has reached Kent, with 1 confirmed
case. This was inevitable, but it still scares me.

The News Break app is frustrating. I can only access headlines
and blurbs. I want details but can't get to the articles.

My friends suggest I sign up for text updates at cleveland.com.
The website is terrible. Ads flash on the screen each minute.
Text scrolls under my fingers faster than I can read it. I ask
Joseph to help. He says he can't find any where to sign up.

Nut crawls into my lap, and I pet her for awhile. She is a big
cat. I can't read when she's on me. But it's relaxing to hold her
and feel her purr... and snoring.

I'm worried about grocery shopping. I don't know if anyone can
help. I put together an Amazon order to get some Dr. Pepper,
snacks and other things.

I take a long, wonderful nap. The cats join forces to paw me
awake. Nut sits on my chest, and I pet her. Bast attacks Nut to
get her away. I'm forced to get up and feed them.

I discover the items I ordered from Amazon will take several
weeks to ship. I text another friend, and she is willing to get
me groceries. I cancel a few of the Amazon items because I can't
wait that long. Life is so messed up.


Lockdown Day 4

March 26, 2020

I wake early again. My muscles are screaming in pain. It means I
didn't relax in my sleep. Bad way to start the day.

I do trigger point massage on my neck, shoulders and arms. Then I
slather mint scented ointment everywhere it hurts. medicine will
also help, but I will need to be careful and take breaks from
reading and typing. That pretty much means sitting and doing
nothing.

Welcome to my house. Usually, the first thing you'd notice is my
desk. On the desk is a vintage 1983 Cabbage Patch kid boy with
brown hair and blue eyes. His name is Stewie. Next to him, you
would see my collection of Harry Potter dolls.

Those are still there. But what stands out now are the signs of
life with COVID 19 -- Purell and Lysol wipes.

Three people come to my house. I know it's bad, but I am excited
to be around others. First is a tactile interpreter from Purple
Communications, then a woman who wants to be my new independent
living provider. Last is a contractor who will install grab bars
in my bathroom. I will not have to pay for any of these services.

The provider seems eager to work with me. She does not sign, but
we can communicate using text messages. She is ready to start
once the paper work goes through. I was afraid I'd have to wait
until the medical crisis ended.

I need grab bars after a few scary falls. The last one was bad,
although I was not hurt. The contractor has me show him where I
want the bars. I tell him about my habits and the falls. He
decides to install three bars.

I go back to the living room with the interpreter while he gets
to work. Traditionally, I chat with my terps while waiting. I
think nothing of it and try to engage her in conversation. There
is always a pause before she signs to me. She is polite but
doesn't try to prolong conversation or ask me anything. I realize
she is trying to keep her distance. I don't say anything after
that. It feels weird and sad to sit in silence.

I lay down for a nap, can't fall asleep. I don't know why this
keeps happening. I use the bathroom and get back in bed. I fall
asleep. Joseph wakes me to ask about dinner. Both cats paw at my
body. I don't want to get up.

I sit in the living room reading while Bast is on my lap. A super
loud noise scares both of us. I think it's a gun shot and yell
for Joseph. No, he says, but he doesn't know what caused the
noise.


Lockdown Day 5

March 28, 2020

I wake up and feel a tap, tap, tapping on my back. Bast's touch
feels so much like a human.

There is a thud as Nut jumps on the bed. I reach out to pet her,
but hands grab mine and force them against the bed. Who's there?
Nobody answers.

I realize the hands were small and soft like mine. They were
mine. Not again!

Sometimes when I'm half asleep, one hand will sign into the
other. Once I answered with my voice, and my hand signed back. We
had a long a conversation.

I take a rare morning bath. Rare because I don't do mornings. I
am feeling scummy. But I also want to try out the grab bars. They
are awesome.

I text my dad to ask about the noise. He says some people in the
area lost power. He assumes a transformer blew.

I remember when Joseph was six and came to my bed at dawn. He
heard a loud noise, and Grandma said a transformer blew. He was
trembling as I pulled him into my bed.

The only transformer I ever heard of was the toy kind. I imagine
two giant transformers battling at the corner of Roosevelt and
Gardenview. One shoots lasers and blows up the other. I'm too
sleepy to think this is weird.

I finish The Hunger Games. When I first read the book, I was 75%
certain Peta was being sincere. I didn't want Katniss to get
involved with him. She had to be with Gale, who is seriously
badass.

Now, knowing what will happen, I think Katniss is so blind. It's
obvious she does have feelings for Peta. instead of being
desirable, Gale comes off as cold.

My CoNavigator comes over to shop for me. She wears latex gloves.
She has to text me often when the store doesn't have what I want.
But mostly, it works out. Best of all, they have Dr. Pepper.

I take a long, hard nap. Joseph wakes me up to ask about dinner.
Later he wakes me up again. "Are you dead," he asks.

I say "Maybe."

It's 11:30 PM. Not good.

Later, we sit on the couch to have a chat. I find a wrapper and
smell. "Combos?"

Joseph says, "Use your words. You always smell things instead of
asking me about it."

I reply, "My sniffer actually works, so I use it." I am cracking
up.

Angie C. Orlando

March 2020

Permission is granted to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers