contact me at dotbug3@gmail.com

Saturday, May 9, 2009

A Mother's Love

On April 26th, 2009, JD stood in front of  the church congregation and took his First Communion.  This was a special day for him.  I was so proud as my mother told me all about what was going on.  It was such an emotional experience that she was crying with joy.  JD  is such a wonderful kid.  This was a day for us to celebrate his life and special gifts.

            Many people who are deaf-blind find coping and support in their religious faith.  God gives  their life more  meaning.  Religion seems  to provide  the strength they need to deal with each day of life as a person with deaf-blindness.  I often hear people say, "there will be no deaf-blindness in Heaven.)

            The truth is, I'm not religious myself.  It's not that I don't believe in God.  I just don't feel that religion has a place in my life.  It's a non-issue for  me.  It's just not part of who I am.

            Still, I agreed to let my parents raise JD in their Catholic faith.  It's hard to explain why.  I guess I  want to give him the chance to have faith and find love in God.  Maybe it will make his life a little easier.  Maybe he will choose the same path as me in the end.  I don't know.  But I wanted to give him the chance to experience church and religion.

            JD does so well with it.  He often teaches me about  Jesus and tells me stories from the Bible.  He doesn't always want to go to church, but he behaves so well and participate in the service.  He's an amazing child.

            I go to church on holidays and special events in order to support JD.  If he wants me there, I will go.  I definitely wanted to be at his First Communion.  There was no  way I'd miss this one.

            A few days after the  service, I received an email from  a members of the church.  I want to share this letter now.  It is truly beautiful and      touches my heart deeply.   I love my son dearly.  He is the center of my life.  He is my strength.  He is my faith.

 

Happy Mother's Day to all.

 

From an anonymous member of the church:

 

I am writing this email to you because I want you to know how I feel about what I witnessed yesterday at the First Communion Mass.

 

I do not know you and only know of you through my daughter-in-law, who has told me a bit of your family's story.  Yesterday I was seated where your family was in my direct line of sight.  I thought that there was something different about you but it took a few moments for me to realize that you are blind and deaf.

 

I could not help but watch you as the mass progressed.  When the First Communion Rite was taking place I saw you reach out to touch your son so tenderly that I was nearly moved to tears.  I have rarely witnessed such a moving outpouring of a mother's love for her child.  I want you to know that I think JD  is richly blessed to have you for his mother and I feel certain that he knows as well how blessed he is.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers